So… I’ve been putting this off for a long time, but I need closure and I think you guys deserve it too. This is the end of Comic Book Ads… at least for now. Maybe someday I’ll come back to it, but I wouldn’t want to commit to anything.
Why? Well, a number of reasons, the biggest being that while I still love the ads themselves, posting them has started to feel like more of a chore than a hobby. I don’t really know what changed, and I’m sorry that it did, but that’s just the way it is.
Secondly, my ancient scanner stopped working, and since this was pretty much the only thing I ever used it for, I don’t really feel the need to replace it.
And thirdly, I’m at 87% capacity on my WordPress site, and I’m not willing to pay in order to keep posting more stuff. (And I’m not willing to delete anything, since I always intended for this to basically be a historical archive.)
I’m proud to say that I’ve presented every single ad published in 14 different comics books:
- X-Men #1: September 1963
- Jungle Action #2: December 1972
- Claw The Unconquered #5: February 1976
- The Secret Society of Super-Villains #12: January 1978
- Shogun Warriors #7: August 1979
- Buck Rogers #7: April 1980
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi #3: December 1983
- G.I. Joe #33: March 1985
- Masters of the Universe #1: May 1986
- Visionaries #3: March 1988
- Wonder Woman #37: December 1989
- X-Force #43: February 1995
- Deadpool #1: January 1997
- Thunderbolts #10: January 1998
I like to think that these represent a good cross-section of pop culture across these decades.
These past four years have been a fun ride, and thank you to everyone who’s shared it with me! I encourage you all to seek out weird, wonderful comic book ads on your own by supporting your local comic book shop!